You Found Mold in Your Home. Is Professional Mold Remediation Necessary?
When you find mold in your home, you may wonder whether it is something that you can clean up yourself or whether professional remediation is necessary.
You probably know that mold spores are airborne and if mold is present in a home, some people could get sick from it. However, what about just a little mold in the corner of your bathtub or found on a basement wall where there was a leak? Does every sign of mold require professional remediation or is some mold growth a potential do it yourself clean up?
In our work as mold remediation specialists, we inspect homes with mold on a regular basis. There are occasions when we are able to recommend to a homeowner that the mold in their home does not require professional remediation. For example, if the mold is confined to a small area and is growing on non porous substances such as glass, ceramic tile or metal, our services may not be needed.
However, if you discover mold in your home and it falls under one of the following situations, professional remediation is recommended.
- The mold covers a large area (greater than three feet by three feet, according to the Environmental Protection Agency).
- Mold develops after flooding with water that might be contaminated with sewage or other potentially hazardous substances.
- There is mold in your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system.
- You have moldy wood that cannot be easily removed and replaced. In this case, the moldy area needs to be sanded and encapsulated instead, which significantly increases one’s exposure to mold.
- You suspect that you have hidden mold because you can smell mold but can't find it. Mold can potentially be growing in your subfloors, behind kitchen or bathroom cabinetry, in the attic, inside walls, under carpets, or in your crawlspace.
- You have a medical condition that might be made worse by increased exposure to mold, like asthma, environment allergies, or an immune system disorder.
- You are already experiencing symptoms of mold-related illness.
We know that a mold infestation is never an enjoyable experience for homeowners. SERVPRO of Milford-Orange-Stratford has IICRC trained mold specialists that will make the mold remediation process as smooth as possible.